[ale] Permission hell question

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jun 30 16:39:52 EDT 2004

Dow Hurst wrote:
> So under Linux it is the options in fstab that really make the
> difference. The kernel overlays the mount point permissions with the
> mounted filesystem and allows the user to read and write at will.  Nice
> tests!  Did you specify the user or users option in the fstab?

Yes, user, but I don't know how the perms are set.  All I have there is
this entry:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/memstick vfat noauto,user,exec 0 0

I've been trying to figure out how the perms are set.  It's not umask, I
tried changing it to no avail.  I've checked out man pages for mount,
fstab, I'm still stumped.

I guess I'll dig into the mount source...