[ale] SuSE 9.1 USB drops devices?

Van Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Tue Jun 29 07:47:45 EDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:20:07 -0400
 "Preston Boyington" <PBoyington at polyengineering.com> wrote:

> Message: 11
> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:47:38 -0500
> From: "Preston Boyington" <PBoyington at polyengineering.com>
> Subject: [ale] SuSE 9.1 USB drops devices?
> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts (E-mail)" <ale at ale.org>

> Has anyone had any problem with SuSE dropping a USB device?  This weekend I was going to transfer some files from my USB drive (14GB laptop drive in an enclosure) onto a SuSE desktop system and it seemed to lose the connection as it was transferring the files.  SuSE detected the drive and opened a window for me to do a drag/drop.
>
> Everything seemed fine until I came back with my coffee and noticed that the progress bar was not moving.  The lights on my enclosure showed it was powered but nothing was accessing the device.  Re-opening the device was a no-go.  Unplugging the device, logging out, logging back in, and reattaching did nothing (it didn't even detect the device).
>
> Unplugged the device and rebooted.  Upon logging in and reattaching the device it was detected, but still dropped the connection during the transfer.
>
> Device works well on any other system (Knoppix, Debian, 9x, XP) and I haven't noticed any dropoffs on these other systems.
>
> Any ideas?

The same thing happened to me on SUSE Personal 9.1, I think Geoffrey is on to something with it being related to USB 2.0. I can't test his theory to see as I started having the same problems I had before with SUSE 9.1 Professional with mozilla (and by extension thunderbird and firefox) and openoffice, they quit working after running for 1 day of running  with no problems. warm and cold reboots didn't fix the problem. it would work is I manually ran the program from it's location instead of just typing in mozilla,etc. in a x-terminal. I futzed with it for about 3 hours and said to heck with it and wiped my drive and reloaded Libranet 2.8.1

I probably should have gritted my teeth and kept at it until I either fixed it or broke my install so badly that I had to reload. I guess I wimped out. ;)

*signs* a happy sigh, everything just works with Libranet 2.8.1 :)

My Colleague keeps pimping for Mandrake 10.0 but I tried it, and I didn't care for it. To each their own I guess.

Van

Van Loggins        vloggins at turbocorp.com
Assistant System Administrator - ESC Dept
      _
     -o)
     /\\
    _\_v