[ale] Mozilla, Debian - Associating File Types w/ XMMS and RealPlayer

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 26 13:35:59 EDT 2004

Hey all,

      I installed Knoppix 3.3 to the hard drive of my son's desktop, fixed the
apt sources (thanks for the info) then did the update / upgrade. I'm having
problems in a couple areas, but wanted to tackle XMMS and RealPlayer first.

      When I go to radio.real.com and click on different music streams, I have
to maually select RealPlayer to play the music under both Konqueror and
Mozilla. I am having the same problem when I go to shoutcast.com and select
music streams - I can play the music if I manually select XMMS, but it
doesn't work "automagically".

      Is there a handy-dandy howto for configuring Konqueror and Mozilla to
use XMMS and RealPlayer for music sources?

      I'm also having a problem with sound when clicking video streams and
using gmplayer (GUI Mplayer wrapper). I downloaded the win32 codecs, and can
see video streams, but can hear sound (looks like sound is being piped to >
dev/null).