[ale] Piping dump to ssh

Kevin O'Neill Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 23:19:51 EDT 2004

Hello all,

I have been trying to get this working but am not sure how
else to debug other than what I have already done.

I want to pipe a dump through ssh straight to a backup box.

/sbin/dump 0uf - /var | ssh backup-box
"/path/to/backups/filename.dump"

But when I do this dump tells me that I have a broken pipe.
Just to be anal, I tested to make sure I could do just a
plain dump; that works. And I also tested to make sure that
I could copy that file over via ssh; that works fine.
Anyway, I'm not sure what else to test or how else to
troubleshoot to determine what's wrong.

The initial idea that I was working off of is the
following:
tar -cvf - /path/to/backup | ssh B "cd
/path/where/you/want/files; tar -xf -"
This works fine.

Ultimately, whatever the method, I am trying to push
backups via ssh to a dedicated backup server. Any thoughts,
ideas or improvements on how better to do this would be
great.

Thanks

=====
Kevin Stoll