[ale] old HP9000 running Linux

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jun 22 13:43:19 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 10:49, Tony Carter wrote:
> Hello All,
> I obtain a HP9000 T520 Corporate Business Server (8way processor 2gb of
> RAM) about a year ago. My intent was to run Linux on this beast but I
> never got around to rewiring my lab for 220v. Anyone have some space
> that we could plug this puppy in and boot Linux on it? If so, I'll
> donate it to ALE otherwise, I'm going to have to trash it.

The T-class systems are not supported under the PaLinux stuff. That
particular model is about the size of a refrigerator. It weighs around
200lbs and will cost about $35/mo in electrical to keep it running. It
will run the cooling bill up as well. In short, it's a beast!

That said, an 8-way system (even at 120MHz) is still pretty cool! HPUX
is a business system OS so it has few "fun" toys.Somewhere around my
office I have a set of CD's HP sent me for installing gcc and gnome
stuff onto an HPUX system. Old gnome stuff. Think RedHat 6.1. But it
_still_ looks better than CDE!!

**NOTE** I want to _stay_ married. Don't even _OFFER_ it to me! <twitch>
I can get away with sneaking in old SGI hardware. But HP stuff is on the
"sleeping on the couch" list.