[ale] College Linux tips, advice, cool stuff?

Jay jloden at toughguy.net
Mon Jun 21 19:29:56 EDT 2004

Hehe...don't worry about me!  that's why I put it on a spare machine, so
I dont have to worry if  I hose something up :)  I specifically wanted
to try something far from Mandrake/Red Hat and I figured something based
on Slackware was a good shot.  I also love to play with stuff, cause
that's what geekiness is for.  So, far there are some things I like and
I signed up today to join the development team...I might not by much of
a C++ coder, but I can sure as heck write documentation that doesnt make
your nose bleed from being so confusing, or help with maintenance.

If I find out anything that sticks out I'll definitely post to the list,
so far the things I've noticed is a fairly decent package management
system (web based, I'd like to see a rich client though) and a nice
default install configuration - it actually didnt really ask me about
what to install, it simply installs a default list and you can
remove/add after it's up and running.  There's some potential here, I
think it just needs polish, and development - hence why I signed up!
I'm also hoping to buzz through some C++ manuals and brush up on my
coding and then maybe I can actually contribute some useful code, you
never know.  I will warn anyone who's interested in advance, the
installer is pretty nasty, and despite plenty of prior experience
installing and partitioning, it took me three tries to partition it
right purely due to the klugy nature of the installer.  (can you guess
what's the first thing I'm gonna try and help develop if I get accepted
to the development team?)

-Jay