[ale] Good windows firewall ?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Jun 20 20:03:19 EDT 2004

zeb wrote:
> On Sunday 20 June 2004 15:19, exo wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have some windows boxes on my network.  Linux firewalls are
>>great, but I need some good ones for my windows boxes also
>>
>>What is a good and cheap windows firewall solution?  I know there
>>is Zonelabs and Norton's.  Are they any other good ones out there
>>especially free ones.
>>
>>Thanks

> You might consider Coyote Linux.  It will work for both Linux and
> Windows.  I have a small network that uses both, and it works with
> both of them.  It will also act as a router and DHCP server.
>
> It requires a separate box, but almost any door-stop box will do.  I
> am running it on a 486-133 with 16 Mb system RAM  and a 3.5 floppy
> (no hard disk; no display).  You could probably use significantly
> less RAM.

Any of the stock Linux firewalls will work for 'both Linux and Windows.'
  Smoothwall, ipcop, Coyote...

Depending on the services offered, you can get by with such a low end
machine, but running things like snort along on the same box is going to
require more hardware/memory.

It really makes no sense to have firewall software running on 2+
machines if they all have access via the same connection.  One firewall
to protect them all. :)

If you really want to get into it, get Bob Toxen's book and build your
own. :)