[ale] Knoppix hard disk install - apt sources

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Fri Jun 18 12:41:03 EDT 2004

griffisb at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hey all, I decided to ditch the proxy server thing and just
> build a PC for my son. I went with a Knoppix 3.3 hard disk
> install (I know - just burn the 3.4 already). How do I go
> about changing my apt sources? I wanted to do the mighty
> apt-get update / apt-get upgrade thing.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Bruce

i use midnight commander (mc) to do this type of thing

open up your sources list ( /etc/apt/sources.list )

i haven't done a "real" Knoppix install, but i think it is a mix between testing/unstable ("frankendistro" is a term i hear sometimes).  given that, i would suggest commenting out what is currently in there (just put a # in front of the entry) and go with "real" Debian sources.

uncomment what you want/need

for your security updates "Stable" is the only one that is worth listing, so:

#Security Updates
#deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

# Stable
#deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb ftp://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Sources
#deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb-src ftp://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Testing
#deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
#deb ftp://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

# Sources
#deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
#deb-src ftp://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

# Unstable
#deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
#deb ftp://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Sources
#deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
#deb-src ftp://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

for a desktop machine i would say use "Unstable" (they really should rethink these names) as "Stable" (currently Woody) will probably bore most people (not to mention be radically different from what you currently have).  after you make the changes and save/close, you will need to run:

apt-get update

when completed you  can then run:

apt-get upgrade

or

apt-get dist-upgrade

this does not require you to say a quiet prayer or cross your fingers, but this method works for me.

if you have other questions feel free to ask, if i don't know then i can dig into my notes and perhaps find an answer.

i have a sources.list that is quite extensive that i gleaned from a debian-user list member and can email it to you if you want (i am trying to find his name so i can give credit).

also, this comes with the standard Debian Guarantee:
"If you break it, you can keep all the pieces (tm)"

hope this helps,
Preston