[ale] pda recommendations?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jun 18 08:21:38 EDT 2004

alelist at christopherrussell.net wrote:
> I've been thinking about a pda -
>
> just to log names & addresses, and note reps at the gym.
>
> any recommendations? Palm, Zire, Blackberry... et al

I've got 3 palms currently, all sync well with Linux.  I use jpilot,
http://www.jpilot.org/

Over the past 7+ years, I've had 5 different palms all have synced via
jpilot.

> what syncs w/ evolution in fedora?

I've never attempted to sync with evolution, although I did try syncing
with kpilot and that worked as well.  I've been using jpilot since it
was released, about 5 years now I think.  If you don't get positive
feedback from anyone else on evolution sync, let me know and I'll give
it a try.

> what was originally great in theory but actually sucked in practice?
>
> feedback please, I don't want to commit cash to a crash!

As you recall, there was a discussion at the NW meeting regarding
syncing a M$ pda.  To my knowledge, I've never known anyone to sync an
M$ pda to Linux.  I know of a few folks who have tried.  I'd stay away
from such devices, more for ethical reasons than any other though.