[ale] linux infrastructure advice, opinions, suggestions

Jay jloden at toughguy.net
Thu Jun 17 17:52:21 EDT 2004

James Taylor wrote:

>>The only exception is e-mail.  There is absolutely no chance we would
>>

>ever move off of MS
>

>>Exchange Server for e-mail.
>>

>What are your specific obstacles to this?

The administration, pretty much.  It's a hell of a lot of politics, and
believe me, I'd love to go back to the days when we ran a nix mail
server, but due to a variety of political adminstration reasons beyond
the control of the Systems Administration office, it just wont happen.
It's nothing technical, really, just social/political.  -sad, isn't it.
I'd think that they'd just trust the sysadmin to do his job, rather than
insisting on giving their opinion on things they know nothing about, but
hey, that's just me.  And that is also why our "server room" has
sprinkler systems in it, not enough power and no air conditioning, so
we've got servers in closets with big whooshing air vents venting
uncontrolled air from the AC system into them just to keep things cool.

-Jay