[ale] home backup system

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 16 12:19:43 EDT 2004

On Monday 14 June 2004 12:46, lee hartley wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone has a backup solution they are happy with...I
> am wanting to setup some sort of backup system/procedure for the systems
> on my home lan...I have been leaning towards putting a dvd burner in one
> box and letting the others send their backup data there every other day
> and burn it to a dvd once or twice a week ...any thoughts? suggestions
> on clients/servers....
> thanks

I'm using Mondo Archive on a dual-boot SuSE 9.0/WinME desktop. Mondo supports
CD, DVD (running Mondo unstable and 2.0 versions), and Tape. I've been able
to do a backup and a nuke/restore (completely erase the harddrive and restore
from tape). It works.

Mondo also supports NFS, so you could backup your clients using NFS to the
server, then back the server up as well. One gotcha is that Mondo does not
work in WIndows-only environments, although it is a Linux and a dual-boot
Linux/Windows tool (it works well for FAT, I haven't tried NTFS partitions -
although some people have claimed some sort of luck).

I do not use the NFS portion, I just backup my desktop.