[ale] home backup system

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jun 15 13:28:25 EDT 2004

I _USED_ to be a fan of the "dump it all onto another machine" process
until lightning hit a tree 3 feet from the side of my office. All of the
surge protectors did their job very well. But it couldn't stop the EMP
from trashing nearly everything anyway (150,000 V @ ~2x10^6 A >= 140V/mm
@ 20 feet from the strike. This is a field strength that can permanently
magnetize the read/write head on the hard drive and cook most IC
devices. It did all of the above. I had bare fluorescent bulbs glowing
for >15 seconds!).

Backup the stuff you can never replace to a removable medium and remove
it off site. If not off-site, then get a fire safe rated for magnetic
media and store it with the door locked. If my backup-tapes had been in
my large safe, they probably would have survived the E-field intact.
They were effectively bulk erased. It would have taken about 1/4" of
good conductivity metal (copper, aluminum, gold, etc) to dissipate the
E-field I got hit with. For iron or steel, it would take nearly double
the thickness.