[ale] MySQL training?

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 15 13:17:39 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:03:02PM +0100, George Carless wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My boss has asked me to look into local options for MySQL training in
> Atlanta.  I'm looking for fairly in-depth training; I don't need to be
> told how to perform simple joins or whatnot, but I do need to know more
> about performance tuning, query analysis, etc.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions?

While I'm pretty sure the choice ship has sailed have you considered
PostGreSQL? Many in the Open Source Database community consider MySQL to
be a toy database because it lacks features that commercial databases such
as Oracle, MSSQL, DB2, and the like carry. Also being BSD licensed it has
much less encumbrance than MySQL.

Here's a pretty even handed just the facts comparison of the two:

http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743/0/page/1

that also has a section on support and training.

Here's a similar E-week article:

with a followup on the Firebird OS database here:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1477935,00.asp?kc=EWGL10310KTX2B2200436

I learned about the perceived shortcomings of MySQL from mlw from
comp.os.linux.advocacy. If you search google groups, you'll find that he
spends a significant amount of time comparing the two. Also in March he posted
a 3 part HOWTO on how to get Postgresql going.

Just some thoughts. Good luck on your search.

BAJ