[ale] Sendmail and MTA

Mon Jun 14 11:53:49 EDT 2004

jtholmes wrote:

> I want to make this short.
> If not enough details then I can provide more.
> Sendmail usually Xfers to  a Mail Transfer Agent (Usually another
> instance of Sendmail)
>
> Situation.
> Several Linux boxes in a MS Windows env, on Bell South DSL.
> Bell South DSL connection currently acts as MTA
>
> Needed
> Ability for all on the Local lan both Linux and Windozs to
> be able to email locally and to the Internet.
> Dont want to use MS Exchange
> Is Outlook capable of talking to an MTA

Why MS-exchange? To act as a SMTP or to act as IMAP type server? problem
here is this: to configure MS-Outlook to work as it would with
MS-Exchange, but using linux MTA is a pain. But if you strictly want MTA
with outlook, like pop3 and smtp that is not a problem.

> Is this a viable solution

this can definatelly be done:

> One Linux box acting as Local MTA
> Local MTA Linux forwards Outbound (not for local lan) to Bell South MTA
> All other Linux boxes forwarding to local MTA
> All Windows  boxes do What?  Evolution? Would like to use some MS product
>  to keep things simple for those poor Windows users.

outlook will act as MTA without a problem as long as sendmail is
configured right. Here is what you want to know thogh:
do you want your smtp server to deliver directly to outbound e-mail
addresses or do you want e-mails to go through linux box and then to
bellsouth smtp?
also sendmail (don't use sendmail, use postfix or qmail a lot easier to
configure) will deliver local e-mail without going through bellsouth
smtp automatically... you don't really need to configure this unless you
are looking at a crazy setup.