[ale] Open Source Firewall for Windows 2000/XP?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jun 8 07:39:28 EDT 2004

Jonathan Glass wrote:

> Correction:  Microsoft and ISS have announced a hole in IPSEC filtering.
> Any packet with a source port of 88 or 500 (a whole list, actually)
> automatically gets passed through the IPSEC firewalls, regardless of your
> rulesets.  According to M$, IPSEC is not intended to be a firewall.
> Please visit http://www.ibb.gatech.edu/~jglass/tips-n-tricks/windowsipsec/
> for details.

That makes no sense to me.  You would use a firewall to permit or deny
ipsec packets right?  So are you saying that if you attempt to permit
ipsec through a M$ firewalled box, it creates a vulnerability?

IPSEC was not intended to be a firewall, but a secure way to pass data
across an public network.

What am I missing?

> Geesh, they can't even get packet filtering right!

Agreed, but I'm still trying to make sense of of the 'IPSEC is not
intended to be a firewall' statement.