[ale] Open Source Firewall for Windows 2000/XP?

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 3 12:52:35 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 12:19, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> > So any ideas? I saw a student project of a packet filtering
> > firewall here:
>
> Windows NT/2000 has built in packet filtering that, while somewhat difficult
> to configure, works as well as the early packet filtering (circa 2.0 kernel
> family). XP and 2003 have something that is similar to the early ipchains in
> terms of functionality and is much easier to configure. 90% of Windows
> security problems can be resolved by properly configuring the existing
> software. It's that 10% that always bites you. ;)
>
> --
> Jonathan

I've had extremely good luck using the IPSEC firewall stuff on my client machines...
Plus uninstalling File & Print Sharing
Plus using my own Software Update Services Server for updates
Plus running an AV software package that automatically updates itself daily.

The only two machines I've had affected by worms/viruses over the last 6-9 months have been those two that I missed when manually configuring them to do the aforementioned things.

Thanks

Jonathan Glass