[ale] (repost from outage) -- Scrum?

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Thu Jun 3 11:00:41 EDT 2004

On Jun 3, 2004, at 9:32 AM, John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
> I took over a small development shop in a big company back in October.
> The development process here is essentially non-existent...if the CMM
> allowed negatives, we'd be around -5
>
> I'd like to establish proper, repeatable processes and bring some
> order to
> it all.
> However, I'm also sensitive to implementing heavy, obtrusive processes
> in
> an environment that's quite accustomed to none.  I don't want to chose
> system that will take me 3 months to learn and my developers even
> longer...

I've done this. It takes much longer than most people might think.
Short of firing your entire staff and starting over (which is heavy
brain drain), instilling code and process discipline, without an
outright revolt, takes some time. Scrum, like most disciplined
processes, *will* take years to implement properly. Some houses get to
the breaking point with code-check-in (CVS, etc.), others with hard
requirements, others with hard goals and targets, and some don't even
know what offline development means (er... not working on live, active,
code).

Disclaimer: Of course, some software development houses are actually
worse off, and more chaotic, with fixed process systems being
artificially overlaid, if the software development is in an unusual,
unpredictable, or exploratory field.

As a rule, I find that a slow ramp-up, a slow but steady increase in
formal processes, tends to be more effective than the shock of
implementing a new "whole-cloth" system. IOW, if there is no CVS (or
similar), no requirements papers, no regulated self-accounting, no set
accomplishment points, no goals systems (etc. etc. etc.), trying to
change everything overnight just plain doesn't work. The first thing
that must happen in that situation is for the "process manager", or
"project manager", to start setting iterative goals to instill the
process flow itself.

-Bop