[ale] (repost from outage) -- Scrum?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Jun 3 10:30:11 EDT 2004

Guys,

I took over a small development shop in a big company back in October.
The development process here is essentially non-existent...if the CMM
allowed negatives, we'd be around -5

I'd like to establish proper, repeatable processes and bring some order to
it all.  I've been a fan in the past of monthly development iterations,
where all interested parties meet at the beginning of each month, promote
their projects, and then as a group decide which have the highest
priority.  I'd like to take similar approach here and additionally
establish a SCCB that would provide the final word on software changes.

However, I'm also sensitive to implementing heavy, obtrusive processes in
an environment that's quite accustomed to none.  I don't want to chose a
system that will take me 3 months to learn and my developers even
longer...

I've seen Scrum called a "lightweight" way to bring Agile methods to your
group...still doing some research along those lines, but I seem to recall
reading a few accounts of others on the list using Scrum and liking it.

Anyone care to share their experience with Scrum?  Good/Bad?  What
resources (aside from www.controlchaos.com) should I review.

And, if anyone has alternative approaches, I'd welcome the info.

Thanks for the insight!

John