[ale] local mailserver and POP3

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Fri Jul 30 11:44:37 EDT 2004

you can pretty much use one of a few products. The sort of grand-daddy
of all open source POP3 and IMAP servers is the one from UW (same people
that brought us pine). They are usually run out inetd. On my fedora core
1 machine, both IMAP and POP are installed by the imap-2002d-3 package.

On fedora core 2 (and many other distibutions), dovecot is the imap and
pop server. It runs as a standalone daemon. On my fc2 machine, dovecot
is installed by the dovecot-0.99.10.5-0.FC2 package.

I've found I like dovecot alot. It isn't over-burdoned with
functionality I don't need, but it was easy to set up stuff like imap
over ssl with it.

Mike

--

Mike Murphy