[ale] mindspring accounts bouncing

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 23:35:05 EDT 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:55:03 -0400, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> Chris???
>

> John Mills wrote:
> > ALErs -
> >
> > ALE just got dumped me on the same grounds from Speakeasy. This doesn't
> > make a lot of sense. My account has virus filtering on (it's
> > mandatory), but sapm filtering _off_ (I can hit 'D' pretty well by
> > now.)
> >
> > Could ALE be generating traffic that a reasonably configured mail server
> > bounces? Perhaps?

Ok I was looking into a previous problem with bounces from ALE and it
was the reverse PTR for the mail server.  I asked the IP provider to
put a new PTR into DNS and it helped at least one person, but we're
still having issues.  I looked closer at the email headers from the
list and saw that the server claims to be 'mail.room17.com' which is
not what the PTR is set to.  So I emailed the IP provider again to get
them to set the PTR to 'mail.room17.com' and see what happens.  The
new PTR should go into effect within a day or two.  If there are still
problems after the PTR is updated then  I'm not sure what the problem
is.