[ale] OT: slow back-UPS

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 24 17:30:13 EDT 2004

Cor van Dijk wrote:

>Greetings,
>I have several power backup units and they work ok with pc's. I also
>have a digital audio recorder,
>for which they do not work. It appears that the response time is too
>slow. All of the ones I have
>checked have a response time of 150 ms (or better they say), which is
>almost 9 cycles.
>Is anybody aware of faster ones or a way around this problem? The
>recorder takes only 30 Watts,
>so that should not be a problem. TIA.
>Cor van Dijk.

Cor,
I would go to Tripplite, Powerware, and APC and look at the online
UPSes.  Then go to Liebert and look at the specs on theirs.  The main
difference between online UPSes is the noise allowed in the power as the
whole point is to have zero transition time.  A laboratory based NMR
would need an expensive Liebert to keep the noise down.  A simple PC
doesn't usually need an online UPS.  Your digital audio recorder may not
have a power supply that provides enough current/voltage to last 9
cycles.  Also, circuits protected by a generator may have so much noise
and variation in frequency and voltage that a UPS may shut off if not
built to handle it.  Mainly, a critical application with low power
requirements like yours might do well with the lowest power online
doubleconversion or ferroresonant UPS.  Best and Exide combined to
become Powerware so you can get the ferroresonant UPSes there.  You pay
more for the true online UPSes.  Research on UPSes can become a black
hole but is fun going into.  There are so many options out there!  A
700VA Ferrups UPS would work as well as a option.  Maybe if you called
APC and talked with a salesman that they could tell you if you could
plug a line conditioner inbetween your DAT and the UPS you currently
have.  Their Line-R conditioners are $40-60 so wouldn't be too expensive.
Dow