[ale] OT - Rant - I don't want your toner cartridges

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat Jul 24 10:53:05 EDT 2004

Two years? You are much too patient with them.

If this is happening on your home phone, have the phone company change
your number and pay for being non-directory. (That cuts an amazing number
of phone calls from telepests right there.) The fee for being not in the
phone book has been well worth the money for me over the past 16 years.
This is not appropriate for a business phone obviously.

Possible tactic 2, if the above either doesn't work, or is inappropriate:
if the calls are from a single (or limited number) of phones, have the
phone company block the calls, or use caller ID and some Linux fu to
divert them to an answering machine black hole. Rolling your own at least
earns geek points...

Possible tactic 3 will need research of the law. Basically, ask one more
time to be left alone, and when they call back yet again, sic the fuzz on
them (to the extent allowed by relevant law). Of course, this might end up
resembling wreseling(sp?) a pig in a wallow if you don't dot your "i"s and
cross your "t"s properly. 8-(.