[ale] OT - Rant - I don't want your toner cartridges

Alexander Barton abarton at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 24 02:36:36 EDT 2004

If I were sufficiently motivated and willing to prepare in advance, I'd
try this:

Prepare a recording of something really disturbing.  Like maybe a loud
domestic argument that gradually escalates into serious violence,
beatings, smashing furniture, etc.  It might be possible to find
something like this in a movie soundtrack somewhere.  Have the recording
somehow patched into the phone line.

Next time someone annoying calls, left him get halfway through his
spiel.  Then, "Hold on a sec, I gotta go take care of something."  Put
the receiver down, hit play, and "go beat my wife."

Ideally, the beginning of the recording would be interesting enough to
hook the caller into listening for a while.  In fact, the longer we have
the caller involuntarily eavesdropping on the argument, the better.  (To
consume telemarketer's time and telecom resources.)  And, if at the end,
the caller is is really disturbed, all the better.  :-)

The last time I moved, five years ago, I had my number changed and I
haven't given it out to anyone.  Well almost.  It's certainly not in any
database anywhere.  Well, almost.  Probably not many.  Anyway, I pretty
much don't get nuisance calls.  So I'm really insufficiently motivated
to try anything like the above.

-Alexander