OT: Google the new RTFM (Was: Re: [ale] Internet Access around Atlanta)

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at sciatl.com
Fri Jul 23 12:39:51 EDT 2004

Jeff Layton wrote:
> This is all true and I agree with it. However, we have this problem
> at Lockheed. If you have a web browser open to anything but the
> internal website you are immediately labeled a "surfer" and are
> accused of wasting time. Even if you are looking for something
> for work or are taking a couple of minutes (literally a "couple"
> of minutes) to look up something, you are labeled as a time waster.
> It's OK to sit around and talk to each other about things that have
> nothing to do with work at all for hours (which I have see done
> every data), but the second you open a browser and particularly
> if go to Google, you have been branded for life.
>
> So, sometimes I use post to ALE and ask stupid questions in the hope
> that someome will find a usefule link for me via Google. I know
> it's dirty and I apologize. Unfortunately, it's my only choice to get
> any work done. Sigh...

Sounds like it's time to write a python/perl app that will take a query string,
dump it to Google, and email the result file to you, HTML or ASCII as desired....

Or perhaps a proxy website that will 'wrap' Google in a specified 'skin' to look
like work....

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
     posting from, but not     |

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.