[ale] Linux for various server processors

audilover at speedfactory.net audilover at speedfactory.net
Thu Jul 22 14:19:13 EDT 2004

On 7/19/2004, "Greg Freemyer" <freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com> wrote:

>I want to put together a collection of Linux Boot CDs that can basically
>run on any server.
>
>The ideal solution for me right now would be to have a knoppix CD for
>every platform, but I think they only support Intel.
>
>So I will have to be happy with a SUSE CD in rescue mode for one
>platform and a Redhat boot cd for another.
>
>Does anyone know of a website that lists the various CPUs and what Linux
>flavors are available for it.
>
>ie. What are my choices for a HP Risc box, HP Alpha, SGI Risc, IBM
>RS-6000, etc.

Knoppix is based on the Debian distribution.  Since Debian supports all
of these platforms (except some of the SGI Risc), you should be able to
create a Knoppix-like CD for each.  At present SGI RISC support in
Debian is limited to the Indy.

The SGI RISC based systems graphic are not frame buffer, therefore they
require a device driver and the XL and XL24 used in the Indy are the
only one that currently have a device driver.