[ale] What happend to?

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Wed Jul 21 12:08:09 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 09:55, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> I have suddenly discovered that data that _used_ to
> be available with the old DOS file formats seems no
> longer available.
> Specifically, a detailed listing of a file in the
> dim, dark historical past used to provide both the
> original write/create date _and_ the most recent write
> (or access -- I don't remember which) date.
>
> Now all I seem to have is the most recent "modification"
> which isn't much help as, in fact, that is the last "read"
> date.
> Is there _any_ way to recover the original write date of
> a file, or is that data no longer part of the file format?
>
> The files in question are MS Word files that were originally
> created on Win box and then sent to me.
>
> Sean

What do you mean "sent"?

Typically the meta-data you are talking about is not maintained in the
file, so when it is e-mailed, it is lost.

The good news for you is that MS Word maintains its own set of meta-data
inside the file.  I don't know how to view it from Linux, but from a
Windows box you can right click on the files and select properties.
Then click on the custom tab.  Then click on advanced.

HTH, and if anyone knows how to do this from Linux, I'd be interested to
know how.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer