[ale] Staying current with mainstream distribution

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 21 09:35:47 EDT 2004

Hey all,

      I am running SuSE 9.0 on one desktop, and Debian testing/unstable (from
Knoppix) on another. I noticed with the Debian desktop I can do an apt-get
update, apt-get dist-upgrade and end up with the latest and greatest Gimp,
Open Office, Mosaic, KDE, Wine ... - it all just upgrades to the latest
versions (well, maybe after some apt-get -f install, and a rare dpkg
--force-overwrite on occasion).

      Are there any tools in the SuSE world that will let me upgrade to the
latest packages, or do I just wait for the most recent release and do an
upgrade of all packages? Does Ximian red-carpet offer that kind of service,
and is it at cost?

      I like how stable and reliable SuSE has been, but don't feel confident
in upgrading specific packages by RPM - I kind of prefer Debian's way of
dealing with that. Any thoughts or recommendations?