[ale] Enterprise Authentication

Vincent Fox vf5 at plm.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 19 01:37:09 EDT 2004

More data please.

Just auth, or more than that?

Another question is who is currently on top and who do you want to be?

In my old environs I had a Sun doing everything. So as main fileserver
it did the UNIX auth of course. I used NIS but you could substitute
Kerberos. The point is UNIX was the server side, Windows was just
clients attaching.

So at that point it was easy enough to run Samba on the same box
in PDC mode and all accounts were thus integrated.

I never saw much point in LDAP, seems like NIS with flames down the side.
No security really. A big PITA so if you were going to all that trouble
why not go Kerberos?

You want secure auth on the UNIX/Linux side, go with Kerberos.

Active Directory, don't get me started! What a nightmare.....