[ale] Alcatel DSL

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Jul 13 01:42:06 EDT 2004

Trey Sizemore <trey at fastmail.fm> writes:

> For high-speed internet, I've always had a cable connection.  I
> currently have a choice of 2 high-speed alternatives here in Canton:
> Alcatel DSL and Adelphia cable (which I currently have).  Speed is
> great, but I see they don't allow servers of any kind with the service
> (per their end-user agreement) while Alcatel has said that it's no
> problem.
>
> So, I'm looking to switch, but have never used a DSL connection and
> wanted to see what user experiences are with this before I jump in.
> Anything to look out for, or is it simply as easy as 'connecting it' as
> I've done in the past with cable?

I have had RoadRunner cable service for the past four years, and been
very happy with it. (But I'm in west Texas, not Atlanta.)  Downtime
has amounted to perhaps two or three hours total over the four year
period. I also tried SBC DSL for a time, concurrently with the
Roadrunner, and I liked the cable service a lot better. It's more
reliable and faster, although I don't have the "right" to run my own
servers.

Broadband seems to have an unusually large variation in customer
satisfaction. I'm under the impression my cable experience is one of
the sunnier stories out there.

Cheers,

-- Joe

--
I have designed a language called LYL (Leave Your Lover), in which,
naturally, TAFWTDI (there are fifty ways to do it).