Redux: [ale] No Joy with GDB 'dump'

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Jul 11 14:56:27 EDT 2004

Geoffrey -

Thanks for writing.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Geoffrey wrote:

> John Mills wrote:

> > I'm using gdb-5.2-2 on a RH-7.3 setup and want to use the 'dump' command
> > to write memory off to a file. Unfortunately my gdb doesn't seem to
> > recognize 'dump'. Any suggestions?

> I've not used gdb in a while, but doesn't the dump command require a
> subcommand?

Definitely - but I don't even get a flicker on 'help dump' in my version.
I downloaded v.6.x sources and will build to see if it acts differently.
Maybe there's a 'configure' arg involved, too. I guess from the dearth of
replies (only yours) that I must be on the lunatic fringe to use it at
all. In that case, does anyone have other suggestions for source-level C++
debugging that allow one to save a named block of memory to a file?

TIA.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu