(OT) Re[2]: [ale] GAH

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Sun Jul 11 13:57:45 EDT 2004

> You are mistaken on many points.  The original Constitution is a
> singular irreplaceable document that is also extrememly fragile, and
> those measures are designed to protect it.

I understand that, but you missed the entire point of the analogy. I would
argue that the original document, while it would suck tremendously if
lost, is easily replacable. There are billions of copies of the original
text out there. Our government wouldn't collapse if the original paper
copy of the constitution burned up.

> By the way, you are not restricted from making copies of the gift-shop
> purchase either, though the cost of the copy available at the gift-shop
> should not be profit-making either as it should only be enough to cover
> just the production and distribution costs involved for the purchase.

No, there is a profit motive there; much of the costs go into maintaining
those security measures of which you spoke, along with the facilities
themselves, paying the staff, etc.

> Other than a few hundredths of a cent for distribution,
> what costs are involved with the production (paid for by tax dollars)
> and the distribution (also paid for by tax dollars *and* also volunteer
> mirrors) of an E-Book?  We all know the answer is *none*, of course.

You're assuming that it's the government that is selling this document.
You're incorrect. Amazon is selling the e-book document, and its publisher
is NuVision Publications - both of which are for-profit entities. Tax
dollars don't factor into this equation anywhere.

> The E-Book was created with tax-payer dollars, and belongs
> to the government

No, it wasn't. The original text was created by the founders of the US
government, and the e-book of that document was created by NuVision
Publications using licensed technology from Microsoft - also a for-profit
entity.

> There should be no charge whatsoever for the U.S. Government
> produced E-Book, and absolutely no DRM attached to said E-Book.

I agree. But this is not the case here.

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:52:43 -0400