[ale] Sound weirdness

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 9 17:23:53 EDT 2004

> >       The weirdness comes in when I try to play games, or play music with XMMS
> > at Shoutcast. I just get static. No sound at all. I don't think it's a
> > hardware problem as the connection between the soundcard and my Boston
> > Accoustics soundsystem works fine when playing CDs and TV. I don't know where
> > to start looking for a software problem.
>
> Um, you get static or silence? If "static", my guess would be driver or
> software endianness issue, which is the most common cause. If silence, I
> would guess a hardware issue, although the fact that other sounds are
> getting through the card is strange. Perhaps the SC is damaged.
>
> >       Any pointers? KMix shows the sound is up, not muted. XMMS is using the
> > Artsd driver four audio output. This one has me beat.
>
> it's worth trying without artsd. artsd always causes me trouble.
>
> 	bjorn

Okay, I ruled out hardware. I booted up into Windows (it's been booted into SuSE so much, I forgot it was dual-boot). Sound worked fine in Windows using Realplayer - so hardware is good.

Now to actually read the sound sections of the SuSE users guide. It used to work before the box was moved, it doesn't work now - but that must be purely coincidental. Anyway - I get good sound in KsCD and through the TV card, but get static when playing games and using XMMS. That is just strange.