[ale] programming languages

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Thu Jul 8 17:35:42 EDT 2004

On Thursday 08 July 2004 13:05, Ryan Williams wrote:
> > I know that since many legacy systems are in use in Universities such
> > as UGA or KSU, you will find C, C++, Cobol and Perl used to glue stuff
> > together.  CORBA is used at KSU to help in gluing stuff together.
> > Can't think of anything else at the moment.
>
> How does Cobol and CORBA compare to the other languages?

COBOL is a viciously verbose language which is unfortunately in wide
use, if only because there are so many legacy apps which must be maintained.

To get a taste for it, you could download Kobol from thecompany.com.
If you have used COBOL in the past, then just looking at a few screenshots
will be enough to remind you why you don't want to ever have to use it
again :)

Irv