[ale] programming languages

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 16:42:08 EDT 2004

Python appealed to me because my programming chisenbopp is old-school,
and my old-school ways were satisfied by Python.  Of course, as I get
better and better at it, I feel that newer-school ways of doing things
will creep in and I feel that they already have.

I'm currently using Python to read and translate to HTML some CSV output
from a proprietary software development management tool.  In so doing, I
did something that was semi-new to me - exception handling (I'd seen the
same idea before in DG BASIC's "ON ERR") - and something else I'd never
had occasion to do before:  implement a state machine in software.  I
learned of state machines in college about 20 years ago and am only just
now coding it up for the first time.

- Jeff