[ale] back to Slack It is here!!!!!!!!!!!!! Version 10.0

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 8 09:55:22 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:21:22PM -0400, Michael Still wrote:
> Oh yeah I put a set of isos on ftp.ale.org. Its not in the slackware
> tree, but should be easy to spot. I had to put it there because the
> official slack site doesn't have the isos.

There's a simple reason for that. If the isos were on ftp.slackware.com it
would get pounded mercilessly. Not having them forces users to use the mirrors
or connect to a torrent.

I've found that google is helpful in locating non posted mirrors. A few hits
down on "Slackware-10.0 iso" located a site that downloaded at 400KB/sec. It
only took about a hour to get both images to my external 120 GB drive.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get slack booted without having to make a
floppy or a CD. I believe that a modified version of my knoppix hard disk
transplant can do the trick. But because of NTFS issues, it may still require
using WinXPPro to write/edit the images. I may take another stab at Captive
NTFS. But on my old laptop it was slower than molassas in a Vermont January
deep freeze.

Will report when I've accomplished something.

BAJ