[ale] OT: Firewall purchase

David Hamm ale at spinnerdog.com
Wed Jul 7 21:53:17 EDT 2004

Jonhton,

I'm cirtanly interested in a PIX if it does ospf and costs around $500.

> Number of clients?
The network isn't that big only about 100 users total.

> Do you need a DMZ port?
I don't use DMZ ports I'd prefer using ACLs in the internet router or an
additional firewall to produce a DMZ.

> Number of remote VPN sessions?
Fifty VPN sessions would be plenty.  But I'd like to use IPSEC for both
workstation to network and network to network VPNs.

> How much total throughput do you need?
Currently the company has a single T1 so any firewall will handle it.

> 3DES or DES?
I allways pick 3DES but I can't really say it is necessary.  Most of the
sessions will be ICA anyway.  So it's not quite as crackable as telnet or
some of the other.

Could I get some sorta rack mount kit to go with it??