[ale] USB modem

Cor van Dijk cor.angela at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 7 15:15:48 EDT 2004

"James P. Kinney III" wrote:

> Make sure you have the "acm" module from the usb area loaded. The modem
> device will be ACMttyS0 for the first one.
>
> On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 19:23, Cor van Dijk wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > I am trying to get a "Hawking" usb modem to work on RedHat. But neither
> > Enterprise 3 nor 7.2 (on my old machine)
> > will even find it. Its "ready" light will come on, but nothing else
> > happens. My usb Zip drive works, so the usb stuff seems to be working.
> > Is there a way to force the OS to find that modem? Any suggestions?
> > I am not wedded to RedHat, if there is a distro that has a better
> > chance, then please let me know.
> > Thanks in advance, Cor van Dijk

> > !DSPAM:40e9e372150741486514567!
> --
> James P. Kinney III          \Changing the mobile computing world/
> CEO & Director of Engineering \          one Linux user         /
> Local Net Solutions,LLC        \           at a time.          /
> 770-493-8244                    \.___________________________./
> http://www.localnetsolutions.com

> <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

Thanks for your response. The acm module was loaded and listed, but did not
help. I could not find anything
related to the Hawking modem in the /proc files. When I used a "Hardware
Browser" there was a listing as follows
"SGS Thomson Microelectronics 56k Softmodem", which I initially took to be a
winmodem integrated into the mobo.
There is a site "www.linux-usb.org", which has a lot of good stuff,
including  a tarbal "slmdm-2.7.14.tar.gz", which looked as if it might do
something.  Which it did! Had to make manual adjustments to
"/etc/wvdial.conf", and in the Makefile of
slmdm, but it will produce a functioning connection.
When I now boot up there are some fleeting warnings from "insmod" about the
"slmdm" module not being kosher,
no GPL license and "....may taint the kernel.......".  So far I did not
notice anything extraordinary. All of this was done
in RedHat Enterprise 3, which I bought by mistake, thinking it would work as
an upgrade for the regular RedHat
distros, which it does not. It works ok for me so far.
Sorry for being backward with my dialup connection. Got already more speed
and garbage than I can handle.
Thanks again! Cor van Dijk.