[ale] Sound problems in Debian 2.6 kernel

james at sumners.ath.cx james at sumners.ath.cx
Tue Jul 6 14:35:18 EDT 2004

I _loathe_ the i8x0 sound cards. Complete crap.

I have had limited success with the i8x0 ALSA driver in 2.6.x. The card
in my laptop works but it starts to crackle. The card in a workstation I
used didn't work at all. So, you may want to just try the deprecated
(read works) OSS driver. You may only get one sound channel but at least
you get audio.

I would seriously recommend trying to get a cheap SBLive!. The values
are about $15 now.

--

I used to be interested in Windows NT, but the more I see of it the more it looks like traditional Windows with a stabler kernel. I don't find anything technically interesting there. In my opinion MS is a lot better at making money than it is at making good operating systems.  -- Linus Torvalds