[ale] OT: Firewall purchase

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Jul 4 16:40:58 EDT 2004

Greg wrote:
> OK, Smoothwall on anything (I used to run it on a 486 with a 2 old ISA type
> NIC cards and it did fine).  Installs simply, uses a web interface (simple,
> is a hacked up version of linux, and will run on any 386 hardware. Does
> VPN's also - but I am not sure if it would fit your bill VPN - wise.

You're going to have problems running a firewall with a vpn with
anything less then, say a P150.  If you run smoothwall with snort,
you'll likely not be happy with something similar.

chains or tables can be handled fine by a 486 processor, but when you
start doing some of the more cpu/memory intensive stuff, you're going to
need more processor/memory.

Smoothwall themselves recommend a 150 Mhz processor and min 32 mb ram.
The recommend 64 mb of ram.