[ale] OT: Firewall purchase

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 4 15:16:20 EDT 2004

David Hamm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a firewall that supports IPSEC for VPN and OSPF.
> Netgear has
> stuff I found attractive but with no OSPF support. Moving parts (ie
> fans and
> disks ), and user licensing are out. Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Look at building it yourself using Slackware, Bob Toxen's second edition
of his book, and a Epia based fanless supersmall machine with dual
builtin NICs.  His book has drop in iptables rules that are excellent.
Once you get that far then going thru the IPSEC Howto is not too
difficult.  Just involves a kernel module compile and insertion.

Links:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/VPN-Masquerade-HOWTO.html#toc3
http://www.impsec.org/linux/masquerade/ip_masq_vpn.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/03/11/Big_Scary_Daemons.html (this