[ale] Cheap PC in Peachtree City/Fayetteville

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 4 11:39:18 EDT 2004

On Saturday 03 July 2004 13:16, Geoffrey wrote:
> James Taylor wrote:
> > Did I mention, cheap?
> >
> > His current PC is an eMachines 333MHZ box.   Probably a 1Gb Athlon with
> > 30ish GB drive  and 256-512MB ram.  CDROM, etc.... I don't need a
> > keyboard , mouse, monitor, modem or video card.
>
> Not very close to you, but Prime will set you up with a duron 1600 with
> 40gig drive, 256mb ram, cdrom, around $300.  You can step down the
> processor to 1200 duron and all else about the same for about $250.
>
> They also had some used Piii 600mhz for around $100, but I'd rather go
> with the new hardware.
>
> They've got another location, but I think it's on the east side of town.

The used PIII's are Dell Optiplex (small case). I tried one with SuSE 9.0 and
Knoppix (Debian Testing/Unstable). Right now it's running the Knoppix flavor
of Debian installed to the hard-drive. Works fine for. But it was closer to
130 or so(?). Might have been smarter to go the little extra and get a 1200
duron.