[ale] Converting size with Gimp

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jan 31 20:32:31 EST 2004

Chris Fowler wrote:
> I'm trying to use convert to add a white border around my 4.0MP images.
> I then use GIMP to write a date on that border.
>
> When I take to Sam's to print it wants to crop the image to 4x6, 5x7, or
> 8x10.  This cuts off the top half and bottom half of the picture.  I do
> not care about losing part of the picture I do not want to lose the
> bottom and top border.  Is there a way I can use GIMP to crop the image
> to a 4x6 size without it trying to size the image smaller.  I like the
> size of the image being big because I want to make sure there is enough
> data there to print a nice image.

I would suspect that you just need to make the aspect ratio the same as
the size you want to print.  If they're chopping off the top and bottom,
then I would think your image is simply two tall.  Use the GIMP crop
tool to trim your image back to the same ratio you want to print.

> I'm trying to come up with a process to add a border and data to an
> image before I print them.  I do not like the date on the actual image
> so I do not allow my camera to create one.  I like the date on the white
> border I've created.  Now If I can only figure out the perfect font and
> how to position the date text in the exact center of the white border.

With the text tool  you create a floating layer.  You can drag it around
until you have it where you want it, then click on it to 'lock it down.'

If you're having problems positioning it, zoom the picture until your
white border is, say, half your screen width.  Then you can make very
small changes to the position.