[ale] Indian outsourcing

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jan 30 06:21:02 EST 2004

Stephen Touset wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 14:03, George Carless wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 09:52:46AM -0800, Cleon wrote:
>>
>>>It's incredibly easy to justify or support people losing their jobs
>>>when you haven't lost yours.
>>
>>It's generally easier to take *any* particular moral/intellectual stance
>>when it's a purely hypothetical issue than when it has direct personal
>>bearing upon oneself.  But that does not mean that we should discard our
>>notions of what is 'right', rational or 'fair' as soon as those notions
>>inconvenience us.
>>
>>--George
>

> I couldn't possibly agree with you any more. I only hope that I have the
> conviction to stay true to my beliefs and convictions even when they're
> hurting me.

Agreed.  And don't get me wrong.  I know the outsourcing thing for IT is
inevitable and I think it is a natural process.That doesn't mean I have
to like it.  And there's more to it then, oh it's the right and fair
thing for companies to do.  The big problem is, unlike the previous such
processes (farming, industrial) I don't see that next step in the career
evolution, and I don't think anyone else can either.

I personally feel that when an employee gives a company 25+ years of
their life, they deserve something back.  I, for one have been very
fortunate.  I left AT&T on my terms and I did get something back.
(pension, benefits..)  I would have been perfectly happy staying there
if I didn't think that I might get cut loose on their terms before I was
100% vested.

Still, I've got a good many years of 'career' left ahead of me and yes,
I've still got a mortgage and my daughter want's to attend an Ivy league
school, so I've still got to maintain a reasonable income, and thus far
I've been able to do so.

Grant it, I'll dig ditches and work 3 jobs if I have to, but I'd kinda
like to leverage those skills I've honed over the past 15+ years and
invested in over that same amount of time.