[ale] close to home

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Thu Jan 29 15:58:14 EST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> Hackers apparently compromised a server at U. Ga.
> <http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040129_1307.html>

More info straight from the horses mouth
http://www.uga.edu/news/artman/publish/04_01_28hack.shtml

> That would seem to be for fairly low values of "secure."

I'll be interested in seeing what comes out of it.  Hopefully they'll find
out how it actually happened.  With so little information so far, it is
hard to say what was actually compromised.  At a large school like UGA,
you don't just have your IT department, each area or school basically has
their own IT department which connects to the UGA core network.

This could be the admissions office placing a server on the network that
happened to have all the info on it and unpatched.  I'd hate to have to
work in such a decentralized situation like that.

But like I said - it'll be interesting to see what details do come out of
this.