[ale] Linux on laptops

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 21:32:05 EST 2004

Hi Mitch!

Answers inline below.

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 19:47, fgz wrote:
> > Check out http://www.linux-laptop.net/
> >
> > Sigmascape1 at cs.com wrote:
> >
> > >Hello!
> > >
> > >Just a quick question. What Linux distribution would you guys
> suggest if I wanted to replace WinXP Home on my Sony Vaio laptop?

As will become increasingly apparent, I'm a real fan of RedHat's stuff.
I've used 9.x and Fedora Core 1 on my Latitude CP/x J, and am positively
tickled with it.

For other laptop models, look here:

http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html

The following models are covered:

Sony Ultra
      * Sony Vaio-505
      * Sony Vaio PCG-C1 Picturebook
      * Sony Vaio PCG-N505VE

> My
> laptop is about 1.5 years old, 1 GHz Athlon, 20 Gig drive.

That should be more than enough.  My Lat is a P3 650 512M, and it
absolutely screams.

>  Also, are
> there sites that can tell me how to replace WinXP effectively?

This question will bear some explanation to my pea brain.  The Linux
install will totally replace the contents of your hard disk with a
simple click of a radio button during the install that says "Delete all
partitions on this hard drive".  It's pretty straightforward.  If,
however, you're looking to setup dual-boot, check out the Linux
Documentation project for various HOWTO documents on multiboot
configurations.

> It is a
> newbie-type question, but I have little experience in replacing WinXP.
> I have found that replaces Win98 to be very easy, but never have dealt
> with removing XP.

Again, fear not.  The installer (in the case of RedHat, Disk Druid) will
easily (and automatically) replace your existing partitions.  Other
distros might ask you to use fdisk or another utility specific to that
distro, though.

It's automated, and it's easy.

Good luck!

--