[ale] Indian outsourcing

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jan 28 11:53:35 EST 2004

Alan Stewart wrote:
> A very good article on the situation:
>
> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.02/india.html?pg=1&topic=&topic_set=

Yeah, I get the rag.  Personally, I don't like the attitude:

"Ritesh Maniar reminds me that Hexaware has scored a Level 5 rating from
Carnegie Mellon's Software Engineering Institute, the highest
international standard a software company can achieve. The others are
quick to note that, of the 70 or so companies in the world that have
earned this designation, half are from India. Over several days, here
and at other companies, I hear this factoid repeated like a campaign
talking point.

Translation: We're not just cheaper, we're better."

Point is, if you gave me 6 people to do the job of 1, I'd be able to put
out better quality work too.  Who else has worked for a large
corporation?  Do they give you the time to give it your 100%?  Hell no.
  You design it, you create it, you test it and they give you the
schedule.  Figure that one out.  Either that or you're working 12 hour
days.  No thanks Corporate America, if I'm going to work 12 hour days,
I'll do it for myself.