[ale] Compiere

Joe Sechman jsechman at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 26 19:55:22 EST 2004

John Wells wrote:

>Joe Sechman said:
>

>>I'm licking my chops on this one too.......keeping an eye out for the
>>MySQL / Postgres support ... the article hints that it's not too far away!
>>

>Yes, but here they don't sound as optimistic :(
>
>http://www.compiere.org/technology/independence.html

Damn article!  Maybe I was just *wishing* it was not 'too far
away'.....I'm particularly disturbed with the following:

".....So, porting is writing a parser - NOT writing some database
specific code. We must maintain a "single source" approach as otherwise,
one is in costant porting crisis."

In other words - Slow as Dirt!
Maybe if they used an SQL abstraction layer (i.e. torque) and java
stored procedures....nevermind, it will probably still be slow and take
years to re-engineer. I think MySQL (version 5.1+?) will be including
stored procedures and triggers...maybe some luck then.   Oh well, I'd
still rather spend $1500 versus 25K anyday!

-J