[ale] Linux Provisioning

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Jan 26 09:26:28 EST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> I have been thinking about how to manage a reasonably large number of
> Linux boxes recently. (100+ machines)  All connected via WAN.
>
> Is the patch and upgrade process I'm most concerned with.
>
> I just saw that redhat has started selling a tool that may work:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/software/rhn/provisioning/
>
> Are there other provisioning tools out there.  Any opensource?

Lots of options, some open, some not. RHN's probably the most functional of
the commercial stuff, but it's quite pricey.

There are lots of open source options (yum, apt, current, autorpm, etc.) but
they're all less functional than RHN. Of course, a lot of RHN's
functionality may not be necessary in your situation....

later,
chris