[ale] Desktop Linux

Dan Lambert danlambert at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 25 20:36:50 EST 2004

That's pretty much been my take on the desktop Linux outlook too, Jeff.

I've been fiddling with Linux for a while, but never really got serious
until recently. I have in the past, run Red Hat 7.x, SuSE 7.x, Debian, and a
couple of others. Never was really happy with any of them as desktop
environments. I started working with Red Hat 9, and the tools have gotten
exponentially better, but still aren't quite there for a daily use desktop
OS.

Now I understand that there is a better mousetrap, so I figure it's time to
start looking for something that can replace the MS junk I have. I have to
live with compatibility issue relating to MS Office, as that's the chosen
lingua franca of the business world I have to live in. I've gotten fairly
comfortable with the KDE front end, and using OpenOffice.org, but still need
publishing tools and an Adobe Acrobat writer replacement.

I have to be able to create embedded PDFs for publication on a press, etc.,
and many other common business tasks. As soon as these needs are met and I'm
comfortable with the system, I can start moving all of my other computers to
the same OS.

As you can tell, I'm really tired of the same old MSBS.

Dan

PS: Where in Lilburn are you?