more on -> Re: [ale] segmentation fault.............

matty91 at bellsouth.net matty91 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 25 12:37:46 EST 2004

I have always been able to debug SEGFAULTs by:

- Checking application and system logfiles

- Comparing library versions with a known working system

- strace'ing the process to get an idea of the bad behavior (what system
  calls are executed up to the problem area)

- Compiling the software with "-ggdb -d" so I can get the line of code
  causing the problems. If this isn't an option, a disassembler can help.

- Run the program within gdb to determine WHERE (based on the call tree
  and the stack frame during the crash) the crash is occurring

- If the code is easy enough to debug, I usually follow the logic with
  paper and pencil or dump the stack backtrace into deja.com/google.com/mailing list archives

Let me know if I can help further,
- Ryan